Web Protocols and Practice: HTTP/1.1, Networking Protocols, Caching, and Traffic Measurement is an all-in-one reference to the core technologies underlying the World Wide Web. The book provides an authoritative and in-depth look at the systems and protocols responsible for the transfer of content across the Web. The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is responsible for nearly three-quarters of the traffic on today's Internet. This book's extensive treatment of HTTP/1.1 and its interaction with other network protocols make it an indispensable resource for both practitioners and students.
Providing both the evolution and complete details of the basic building blocks of the Web, Web Protocols and Practice begins with an overview of Web software components and follows up with a description of the suite of protocols that form the semantic core of how content is delivered on the Web. The book later examines Web measurement and workload characterization and presents a cutting-edge report on Web caching and multimedia streaming. It concludes with a discussion on research perspectives that highlight topics that may affect the future evolution of the Web.
Numerous examples and case studies throughout the book detail key developments in Web technology, including the following:
• The history and evolution of the Web's key software components, including clients, proxies, and servers
• Exploration of scripts, search engines, spiders, cookies, and authentication
• The standard protocols: Internet Protocol (IP), Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), Domain Name System (DNS), and the first detailed coverage of the HTTP/1.1 standard
• The evolving suite of protocols for transferring multimedia streams, including the Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
• Techniques for collecting and analyzing Web traffic measurements
• Web caching, inter-cache protocols, caching hardware and software, and the move toward content distribution networks
• Evolving technologies specific to caching, measurement, and protocols
Timely and in-depth, Web Protocols and Practice: HTTP/1.1, Networking Protocols, Caching, and Traffic Measurement is the first book to document the Web's technical backbone in a comprehensive manner.