INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS is a multi-level general English course for adult professional learners. It has been designed to meet the practical language requirements of adults who need to communicate confidently in English at work, for travel, and in a variety of social situations.
• clear learning aims based on the needs of working adult learners
• a strong grammar syllabus presented in authentic contexts, enabling learners to formulate rules, and supported by grammar summaries in the Pocket Book
• a collaborative approach to language work - recognizing that learners already know a lot, building on what they know, involving them in practising and extending their knowledge
• listening activities that include both authentic and scripted material, introducing learners to many features of natural English
• Wordpower sections focusing on key problem areas of lexis such as collocation, common confusions, phrasal verbs, and on key vocabulary-building skills
• a practical approach to communicative activities, practising functional and social language that learners can use immediately
• a strong cross-cultural element designed to sensitize learners to the relationship between language use and cultural context
• frequent Review units with self-check sections
• pronunciation exercises related to the unit content
The enclosed Pocket Book is a complete reference guide to all grammar and social and functional English presented in the Student's Book. INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS Upper-Intermediate Student's Book is accompanied by a Teacher's Resource Book, two Class Cassettes or Class CDs, and a Workbook with Student's Cassette or CD.
• The Teacher's Resource Book contains unit overviews, detailed teaching notes with answer keys, "Understanding natural speech" sections offering further exploitation of authentic listening materials, 50 pages of photocopiable extra resource materials, and progress tests.
• The Workbook provides extra language, vocabulary, reading and listening activities, many based on exam-type questions, with an answer key and listening scripts. The Student's Cassette/CD has further listening activities, pronunciation exercises, and social dialogues.