Want to build apps for Android devices? This book is the perfect way to master the fundamentals. Written by an expert who's taught this mobile platform to hundreds of developers in large organizations, this gentle introduction shows experienced object-oriented programmers how to use Android's basic building blocks to create user interfaces, store data, connect to the network, and more.
You'll build a Twitter-like application throughout the course of this book, adding new features with each chapter.
Along the way, you'll also create your own toolbox of code patterns to help you program any type of Android application with ease.
- Get an overview of the Android platform and discover how it fits into the mobile ecosystem
- Learn about the Android stack, including its application framework, and the structure and distribution of application packages (APK)
- Set up your Android development environment and get started with simple programs
- Use Android's building blocks-Activities, Intents, Services, Content Providers, and Broadcast Receivers
- Learn how to build basic Android user interfaces and organize UI elements in Views and Layouts
- Build a service that uses a background process to update data in your application
- Get an introduction to Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) and the Native Development Kit (NDK)