Take it off for Carnaval in Rio or bundle up tight for a trek through the Andean highlands. From ancient Machu Picchu to happening Buenos Aires, dense Amazon jungles to balmy Brazilian beaches, this guidebook covers every corner of this diverse and vibrant continent.
* 235 detailed, easy-to-use maps
* language chapter covering Spanish, Portuguese, French and Indian tongues
* seasoned advice for a safe and healthy journey
* hundreds of places to stay, on and off the beaten path
* tips for excellent eats, from pre-Columbian favorites in Ecuador to bami goreng in Suriname
* coverage of Easter Island, the Galapagos and the Falklands
"The intrepid traveler's security blanket - never leave home without it"
-Wanderlust Magazine (UK).
"Lonely Planet books speak the language of youthful, independent, tourist trap-avoiding travelers"
-Sports Illustrated (USA).