XML is making an impact on almost every aspect of programming. It was designed from the start as a markup language that combines power and flexibility, with an easy to learn syntax. Developed as an open, extensible, self-describing Language, XML is a W3C standard that allows you to share data across applications, platforms, and the Internet.
Expertly written, lucid, practical, and authoritative, Professional XML focuses on real world applications that use XML as an enabling technology. It presents good design techniques, and shows how to interface XML-enabled applications with web applications and database system. It explores the frontiers of XML and previews some nascent technologies. Whether your requirements are oriented toward data exchange or visual styling, this book will cover all the relevant techniques.
Who is this book for?
Professional XML is for anyone who wants to use XML to build applications and systems. Web site developers can learn techniques to take their sites to the next level of sophistication. Programmers and software architects can learn where XML fits into their systems and how to use it to solve problems in application integration.
What does this book cover?
- Detailed explanation of XML syntax with practical example
- Extensive coverage of XML-related W3C specifications
- How to process XML documents using the W3C DOM and SAX
- Displaying XML using CSS, XSL and WML
- Manipulating document structures using XSL
- How to create effective models for your data when creating markup languages
- How to interface XML-enabled applications with web applications and databases
- Introduction to WAP, the Wireless Application Protocol