Symbian's EPOC is a robust, 32-bit operating system designed specifically for the demands of mobile computing. Already implemented on hardware from industry leaders Psion and Ericsson, EPOC will be the OS of choice for the next generation of smartphones, wireless information devices and handheld computers.
This text, along with the accompanying CD containing SDKs and a PC-based emulator, provides a complete guide to the EPOC operating system and the means to write and test applications for it. To be used with any edition of Microsoft Visual C+ + 5/6, Professional Symbian Programming explains how EPOC works, what it can do, and how to program applications for it.
Written by Symbian's own experts, this book is the definitive companion to the SDK documentation.
Who is this book for?
This book is aimed at C+ + developers who are familiar with other operating
systems and wish to extend their skillset into the new area of mobile computing.
The book will also appeal to owners of EPOC devices who are keen to know how they work and how to program them, and to people who want to understand the future of mobile computing.
What does this book cover?
• EPOC Release 5 - the complete 32-bit mobile computing OS
• The EPOC kernel, system and applications
• The thinking behind and resulting architecture of the system
• Implementing resource-efficient, robust and flexible software
• The APIs that underpin your code, and the classes that make your job easier
• Java, WAP and communications programming