Learn professional thread management techniques from Paul Hyde, a professional Java developer, Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform, and advanced Java language instructor. Apply the concepts, code, and real-world solutions in this book to make your Java
applications faster, more stable, and more robust.
Written by a professional software developer for software developers, Java Thread Programming provides a code-intensive, solutions-oriented approach to mastering threads.
* Start by learning the basics of multithreaded programming in Java and work up to the more advanced concepts.
* Suitable tutorial for Java developers that have never worked with threads before, and an excellent reference and source of proven, advanced techniques for Java developers who have had experience working with threads.
* Explains how volatile and synchronized should be used to control concurrent access to objects and variables and how to avoid deadlocks.
* Discusses how to implement safe and efficient inter-thread Communication Using the wait/notify mechanism.
* Explains how thread prioritization and scheduling affect the execution of threads within au application.
* Discusses pros and cons to different approaches and teaches you how to choose the best solutions.
* Covers the proper use of threads and Swing, and shows how to use threads to create animation.
* Shows you how to use the Collections API in a thread-safe manner.
* Comprehensively covers multithreaded code based on the Java 2 SDK version 1.2.1 and discusses the differences from JDK 1.1 and JDK 1.0.