As magnetic recording technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace-in digital data storage as well as video and audio applications-there is a growing need for a basic primer to help explain advances in the field. Written by industry expert R. Lawrence Comstock, this immensely useful guide combines an introductory treatment of the physics and material science of magnetism with clear, thorough, up-to-date coverage of magnetic recording systems and their components. From basic magnetic properties to the fabrication of magnetic materials to the magnetic recording process, Dr. Comstock examines in detail both theory and applications, reinforces concepts with real-world data, and provides insight into new and emerging technologies. Key topics include:
* The ferromagnetism of the transition metals
* Properties of ferromagnetic thin films
* The state of the art of digital magnetic recording technology
* Magnetic recording heads, including magnetoresistive and giant magnetoresistive heads
* Recording media in disk drive technology
An indispensable resource for engineers and scientists working on the development and manufacturing of magnetic recording technologies, Introduction to Magnetism and Magnetic Recording also features extensive tables of the properties of magnetic materials, 30 photographs, and more than 200 graphs.