Headstart is a short zero beginner's course and a foundation course for the Headway series.
Headway, by John and Liz Soars, is a multi-level course for adults and young adults who want to use English both accurately and fluently. Grammar and vocabulary are taught and explained thoroughly, and all four language skills are developed systematically. The Headway series combines traditional methods of language teaching and more recent communicative approaches. Headstart, along with Headway Elementary, Headway Pre-Intermediate, Headway Intermediate, Headway Upper-Intermediate, and Headway Advanced, provides a comprehensive language teaching series for the 1990s.
Headstart provides approximately 50 hours of teaching, including the Workbook.
Key features of Headstart:
• A clearly defined and limited grammatical syllabus. New language is presented gradually and methodically.
• A careful selection of vocabulary to avoid overloading.
• Substantial controlled practice to give beginners confidence.
• Simple skills work which incorporates manageable communicative activities.
• An Everyday English section which practises common expressions and survival language.
The Student's Book also contains reference lists of vocabulary and tapescripts, and two Stop and Check revision sections.
In addition, there is a Workbook with further consolidation exercises, writing tasks, and an optional Student's Cassette, a Teacher's Book with some photocopiable material, and a Class Cassette.