Now in its Seventh Edition, this well established book provides undergraduate and HND students of civil engineering with a core text on the theory and treatments of soil mechanics. The fundamental principles of the subject are explained clearly and logically and their use in practical applications is well illustrated.
The book also features a wide range of worked examples and problems which help to aid student centred learning.
Key features of the new edition are:
• for the first time, an introduction to practical geotechnical design using limit state theory, together with new worked examples
• an outline of the changes introduced by the draft European Geotechnical Design Code, Eurocode 7
* a revised section on unsaturated soils
* new material in a number of areas including soil nailing, highway design, and in situ moisture content determination
* an enlarged text page with more user-friendly presentation