Building Powerful Plaforms with Windows CE is a comprehensive, practical guide to the use of the Microsoft Windows CE Platform Builder. Drawing on the authors' extensive industry experience, this book provides proven methods and real-world advice for the complete system integration of Windows CE on various platforms. It also examines how to adapt Windows CE to support a platform's unique features.
This book describes the Windows CE architecture in depth, explaining the rationale behind its design. It shows how to use the Platform Builder to quickly create a custom build of the Windows CE kernel and explores the complex and powerful Windows CE build process. Extensive information is provided on designing, implementing, and debugging Windows CE device drivers. A utility called the Driver Mapper is presented as an example device driver that doubles as a valuable tool for debugging device drivers on standard CE devices (e.g., H/PC, H/PC Pro, and Palm-sized PC devices).
Other valuable features include the following:
• A project leader and managers guide to the steps involved in completing a CE custom platform project
• Creating and debugging a CE boot loader
• Modifying the Platform Builder's OEM Adaptation Layer (OAL) sample source to work with a newly developed platform.
• An introduction to writing CE display drivers.
• Automated testing with the Windows CE Device Driver Test Toolkit (DDTK)
• A simplified, automated build process for creating ROM images
All source code used in the book is provided on the accompanying CD-ROM, including the Driver Mapper debugging utility and the C++ display driver classes used to extend the Microsoft Graphics Primitive Engine (GPE) class library
If you want to get Windows CE running on your platform, you will find this hands-on guide an indispensable resource for accelerating your progress and saving you much frustration !