Are you a FileMaker Pro developer? An administrator? A user? No matter what your role, no matter how you depend on FileMaker Pro, this is the book you need if you want to save time, money, and frustration by automating routine tasks and making your database project communicate with other data sources. Inside, you'Il find clear, expert instruction focusing on scripting, field calculations, and ODBC configuration, along with all the background you need to get started. As you master specific techniques, you'Il gain a deeper understanding of the product as a whole, as well as a sound general approach to FileMaker Pro development that you can apply in every aspect of your work.
• Covers both Macintosh and Windows versions of FileMaker Pro, including the latest release: FileMaker Pro 5.
• Provides in-depth coverage of ScriptMaker, FileMaker Pro's visual tool for developing scripts that automate keystroke and command processes: data entry, printing, report generation, and more.
• Explains and illustrates how to use calculations and field options to edit, format, and validate data-automatically.
• Covers interface customization, allowing you to give users easy access to automated functions.
• Teaches you to use ODBC and SQL to enable your database project to import data from, export data to, and synchronize with other data sources.
• Includes a glossary of FileMaker Pro and other database terms, and a special chapter on SQL to help you get the most out of FileMaker Pro's ODBC capabilities.