PC Hardware in a Nutshell is the practical guide to buying, building, upgrading, and repairing Intel-based PCs. A longtime favorite among PC users, the third edition of the book now contains useful information for people running either Windows or Linux operating systems. Written for novices and seasoned professionals alike, the book is packed with useful and unbiased information, including how-to advice for specific components, ample reference material, and a comprehensive case study on building a PC.
In addition to coverage of the fundamentals and general tips about working on PCs, the book includes chapters focusing on motherboards, processors, memory, floppies, hard drives, optical drives, tape devices, video devices, input devices, audio components, communications, power supplies, and maintenance. Special emphasis is given to upgrading and troubleshooting existing equipment so you can get the most from your existing investments.
This new edition is expanded to include:
- Detailed information about the latest motherboards and chipsets from AMD, Intel, SiS, and VIA
- Extensive coverage of the Pentium 4 and the latest AMD processors, including the Athlon XP/MP
- Full details about new hard drive standards, including the latest SCSI standards, ATA/133, Serial ATA, and the new 48-bit "Big Drive" ATA interface
- Extended coverage of DVD drives, including DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW
- Details about Flat Panel Displays, including how to choose one (and why you might not want to)
- New chapters on serial communications, parallel communications, and USB communications (including USB 2.0)
- Enhanced troubleshooting coveragePC Hardware in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition provides independent, useful and practical information in a no-nonsense manner with specific recommendations on components.
Based on real-world testing over time, it will help you make intelligent, informed decisions about buying, building, upgrading, and repairing PCs in a cost effective manner that will help you maximize new or existing computer hardware systems. It's loaded with real-world advice presented in a concise style that clearly delivers just the information you want, without your having to hunt for it.