If you're an experienced programmer who has not worked with Clojure before, this guide is the perfect thorough but gentle introduction for you. Author Carin Meier not only provides a practical overview of this JVM language and its functional programming concepts, but also includes a complete hands-on training course to help you learn Clojure in a structured way.
The first half of the book takes you through Clojure's unique design and lets you try your hand at two Clojure projects, including a web app.
The holistic course in second half provides you with critical tools and resources, including ways to plug into the Clojure community.
- Understand the basic structure of a Clojure expression
- Learn how to shape and control code in a functional way
- Discover how Clojure handles real-world state and concurrency
- Take advantage of Java classes and learn how Clojure handles polymorphism
- Manage and use libraries in a Clojure project
- Use the core.async library for asynchronous and concurrent communication
- Explore the power of macros in Clojure programming
- Learn how to think in Clojure by following the book's seven-week training course