Take advantage of iPhone and iPad sensors and advanced geolocation technologies to build state-of-the-art location applications. In this concise hands-on guide, author Alasdair Allan (Learning iOS Programming) takes you deep inside Apple's Core Location framework, Map Kit, and other iOS tools, using illustrative examples and sample Objective-C code. Learn how to build location-aware apps for both iPhones and iPads, using code that detects hardware features and then adjusts your app's behavior.
If you're a programmer with iOS experience, or a Mac developer familiar with Objective-C, this book helps you get off to a solid start in location-based app development.
You'll learn about:
- Core Location: Understand the significant-change location service and geo-fencing capabilities
- Map Kit: Embed maps into your application's views
- Magnetometer: Use the on-board sensor as a digital compass
- Geocoding capabilities: Translate geographic coordinates into place names, and vice versa
- Heat maps: Get a code walkthrough for displaying these maps on top of a standard MapKit view
- Third-party SDKs: Add unique geo-location capabilities to your app from SkyHook Wireless, MapBox, and other providers