Save time and trouble when using Scala to build object-oriented, functional, and concurrent applications. With more than 250 ready-to-use recipes and 700 code examples, this comprehensive cookbook covers the most common problems you'll encounter when using the Scala language, libraries, and tools. It's ideal not only for experienced Scala developers, but also for programmers learning to use this JVM language.
Author Alvin Alexander (creator of DevDaily.com) provides solutions based on his experience using Scala for highly scalable, component-based applications that support concurrency and distribution.
Packed with real-world scenarios, this book provides recipes for:
- Strings, numeric types, and control structures
- Classes, methods, objects, traits, and packaging
- Functional programming in a variety of situations
- Collections covering Scala's wealth of classes and methods
- Concurrency, using the Akka Actors library
- Using the Scala REPL and the Simple Build Tool (SBT)
- Web services on both the client and server sides
- Interacting with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Best practices in Scala development