Extensible Markup Language (XML) bas revolutionized distributed computing. By providing a standard means for specifying the structure of information, XML enables sophisticated e-commerce systems and facilitates interoperable enterprise software. Knowing how to leverage XML's technical capabilities into business value bas become an important asset for managers.
Fully updated and expanded to incorporate the latest in XML technology advances and its application, XML: A Managers Guide, Second Edition serves as a concise guide for managers as well as a starting point for developers. It helps managers build a working knowledge of XML's capabilities so they can communicate intelligently with XML developers and make informed decisions about when to use the technology. This book also provides manager-specific information about software acquisition, staffing, and project management.
The author provides practical experience-based information on the following key topics:
• How XML fills a critical gap in Internet standards
• Emerging standards that complete the XML paradigm
• XML messaging and Web services
• The software infrastructure needed to deploy XML applications
• Staffing and project management advice for XML development teams
• Preventing the problems commonly encountered on XML development projects
• Applications for enterprises and vendors
Designed to let you quickly and easily access exactly the information you require, this book clearly delineates different paths through the chapters based on your needs, provides executive briefings for every chapter, and includes fast-track summaries of major points in the margins.
With this book in hand, you will have a firm grasp of the fundamental technology, competitive advantages, and potential best uses of the XML standard.