Push Windows 2000 to the limit - and maximize your PC's performance!
Packed with inside information, this EXPERT COMPANION gives power users like you a bounty of tips, tricks, and workarounds to make your PC work like never before! Tailor Windows 2000 Professional to your specific needs-from modifying the boot process to setting up an intranet. Discover new ways to troubleshoot tough performance and security issues. Configure multiple machines to share hardware and online connections-and manage your resources more efficiently. No matter how and where you use your PC, this sophisticated guide shows you how to get under the hood and optimize every facet of the operating system!
* Exploit the built-in management tools in Windows 2000, including Microsoft Management Console (MMC), the Services snap-in, Event Viewer, and the Indexing Service
* Learn how to create a reliable network, use TCP/IP effectively, and resolve networking problems on your own
* See how to set up a print server, Web servers, and user accounts
* Get better performance on line by using a LAN, cable, or DSL to access your Internet accounts, and by managing incoming connections through tunnels and virtual private networks (VPNs)
* Use the Windows Script Host to automate common tasks
* Help secure system resources by using security certificates and NTFS, auditing user and group access, and encrypting e-mail messages
* Ensure your system runs smoothly by monitoring system performance, employing power-management tactics and tools, and editing the registry
* Tap into the power of Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft NetMeeting