Oracle Corporation bas broadened its development platform, integrating open standards such as Java and XML into the heart of the Oracle 8i database. This extended programming environment continues to exploit the qualities of scalability, reliability and efficiency of the world's most successful data management software, but at the same time it provides new challenges and opportunities to programmers.
This book shows you how to develop enterprise PL/SQL applications exploiting Java and XML, and how technologies such as EJBs can be moved to the 8i database. You'll work through case studies using a mix of both familiar and unfamiliar tools and languages, showing you how the various programming approaches can enhance each other.
Who is this book for?
This book is for professional Oracle database programmers who need a comprehensive
roadmap of the new programming possibilities with Oracle 8i. On the other hand, if
you are already developing with Java and XML this book will show you how to exploit
PL/SQL and the enterprise features of Oracle 8i in optimally distributing your n-tier
applications. Knowledge of the essentials of PL/SQL programming is required, and
familiarity with Java would be useful.
What does this book cover?
• The Oracle 8i platform and architecture, covering Net8 and the Oracle JVM
• PL/SQL development using the Web Toolkit, PSP and Designer 6i
• Java application development, including a Java primer
• Oracle 8i and Java Stored Procedures, EJB, BC4J, JDBC, SQLJ
• XML development with an XML primer
• Oracle XDK, XSQL, XSLT, Transviewer JavaBeans
• Case studies using Designer 6i, interMedia, Portal-to-Go, ASP and SOAP