You want a deeper understanding about how networks and the Internet really work, but all the books you've found are either way too technical or too superficial. You've come to the right place: Uyless Black's Networking 101 !
In this book, top consultant Uyless Black draws on his renowned introductory course on networking, presenting the fundamentals in simple, nontechnical terms, without compromising accuracy. For the first time, you'll truly grasp the concepts you need to make better technology decisions - or simply become a smarter Internet user!
* How machines communicate
* Essential concepts demystified: analog, digital, voice, data, and bandwidth
* Network connections: how they're made and maintained
* DNS: the glue that holds the global Internet together
* Accessing the Internet: the rote of ISPs and user network interface devices
* What happens when you click a hyperlink: how computers fend Web sites
* How your email fends you
* Internet protocols you use every day: whether you realize it or not
If you've ever wondered how the Web, messaging, and email really work, if you've ever struggled to make sense of a news story about the Internet, or if you've ever wished someone could explain it all clearly and simply using real-world analogies, Uyless Black's Networking 101 is the book you've been searching for.