Written by experts in the field, Marine Microbiology, presents the latest experimental techniques in the detail required for modern environmental microbiological research. It is an essential guide for all researchers working in marine microbiology, marine ecology, molecular ecology, environmental microbiology and virology, as well as those in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
Key features and contents :
• Covers both established and novel current methods
• Historical perspective
• Enumeration of autotrophic picoplankton, bacteria and viruses
• Fingerprinting Viral Assemblages by Pulsed Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE)
• Fluorescence in situ hybridization with rRNA-targeted oligonucleotide probes
• Detection of phytoplankton by remote sensing
• Marine pollution microbiology
• Microbes in extreme environments
• List of suppliers provided at end of each chapter
• Colour plate section
Marine microorganisms not only modulate global geochemical cycles, but are also sources of biologically active metabolites that may provide new opportunities for drug development. This new volume details methods to determine activity and diversity of microbes in the oceans. Divided into nine sections, the topics include molecular techniques, sediment techniques, remote sensing and methods for measuring bacteria in extreme environments. Methods in Microbiology is the most prestigious series devoted to techniques and methodology in the field. Established for over 30 years, Methods in Microbiology will continue to provide you with tried and tested, cutting edge protocols to directly benefit your research.