Make your 802.11n-based AirPort network fast, reliable, and secure!
Findreal-world advicefrom Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman on setting up the 802.11n models of Apple's AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule, with full information about thesimultaneous dual-band modelsintroduced in early 2009. You'll get help with all the special networking details, such as how to set the best band and channel for your network, use pre-802.11n base stations and clients without hurting performance, set up complex Internet addressing, share USB disks and printers, solve a variety of problems, and much, much more.
If you're trying to solve a particular problem, you can jump in and read the topics in this ebook inany order, but if you start at the beginning, you'll find a primer on important Wi-Fi networking terminology and concepts, and a look at how Apple's 802.11n gear fits into the world of Wi-Fi networking.
With that background, you'll learn how to locate and set up base stations, with diagrams showing common network scenarios-see two examples above on this Web page-and with step-by-step instructions for configuring key Internet sharing and security options and connecting client computers.
For those who have funky Internet connections or tricky IP addressing problems, Glenn provides extended advice for creating a working Wi-Fi network.
Glenn also provides real-world steps for important add-ons to a Wi-Fi network, including:
- Getting started with a Time Capsule and Time Machine backups, plus thoughts on making an archive so you can have an offsite backup of your Time Capsule drive and what to do if you want to erase the drive
- Detailed advice for setting up a USB-based printer and for making connections to the printer work from Macintosh and Windows computers
- Help with connecting an Apple TV to your network and advice on how to start syncing it to your computer
- Steps and configuration advice for adding a USB-attached drive to a Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme, with important information about how best to allow and configure client access
- Tips and setup advice for streaming music from an AirPort Express to your stereo system
- Detailed configuration advice for multi-base-station networks
To make your network fly, Glenn helps you:
- Make band and channel choices
- Combine your old 802.11g network with a new 802.11n network to split traffic and maximize network bandwidth
- Extend your network's coverage while handling any interference
Glenn also discusses wireless-network security, noting oft-suggested security approaches that don't work well and explaining how to implement measures that do work well.
He covers the new guest networking option in the 2009 models of the AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule.
This 'Take Control' book is a must-have for anyone who needs to quickly and easily set up an AirPort network.-Phil Kearney, "father"of Apple's AirPort product line
"If anyone knows about real-world Wi-Fi, it's Glenn Fleishman." -Mark Frauenfelder, co-founder of bOING bOING