What do Foursquare, Zynga, Nike+, and Groupon have in common? These and many other brands use gamification to deliver a sticky, viral, and engaging experience to their customers. This book provides the design strategy and tactics you need to integrate game mechanics into any kind of consumer-facing website or mobile app. Learn how to use core game concepts, design patterns, and meaningful code samples to create a fun and captivating social environment.
Whether you're an executive, developer, producer, or product specialist, Gamification by Designwill show you how game mechanics can help you build customer loyalty.
- Discover the motivational framework game designers use to segment and engage consumers
- Understand core game mechanics such as points, badges, levels, challenges, and leaderboards
- Engage your consumers with reward structures, positive reinforcement, and feedback loops
- Combine game mechanics with social interaction for activities such as collecting, gifting, heroism, and status
- Dive into case studies on Nike and Yahoo!, and analyze interactions at Google, Facebook, and Zynga
- Get the architecture and code to gamify a basic consumer site, and learn how to use mainstream gamification APIs from Badgeville
"Turning applications into games is a huge trend.
This book does a great job of identifying the core lasting principals you need to inspire your users to visit again and again."
Freelance Social Game Developer and founder of Twibes Twitter Groups